Our gut health is directly linked to our immune system. The inside of the bowel is lined by a single layer of cells that forms the barrier between the inside of the gut and the rest of the body. The barrier’s job is to absorb nutrients and prevent most large molecules and germs from passing through into the bloodstream.
Nutritionists and practitioners of complementary and alternative medicine believe the bowel lining can become irritated and “leaky”. This could be the result of several factors; perhaps an overgrowth of yeast or bacteria in the bowel, a poor diet or the overuse of antibiotics. Diet likely plays a big role in having a leaky gut and so does chronic stress.
As a result, undigested food particles, bacterial toxins and germs can pass through the “leaky” gut wall and into the bloodstream, triggering the immune system and causing persistent inflammation throughout the body. This is believed to lead on to a range of health problems that include food allergies, migraines, tiredness or chronic fatigue and much more.
If you suffer from any of the following conditions, it’s likely that you have a leaky gut:
9 Signs You May Have a Leaky Gut
- Digestive issues such as gas, bloating, diarrhea or irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
- Seasonal allergies or asthma.
- Hormonal imbalances such as PMS or PCOS.
- Diagnosis of an autoimmune disease such as rheumatoid arthritis, Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, lupus, psoriasis, or celiac disease.
- Diagnosis of chronic fatigue or fibromyalgia.
- Mood and mind issues such as depression, anxiety, ADD or ADHD.
- Skin issues such as acne, rosacea, or eczema.
- Diagnosis of candida overgrowth.
- Food allergies or food intolerances.
To get your gut health back on track again, we at Sante Sanctuary believe in removing the bad first by cleansing, then fortifying the gut, optimizing it to strengthen it and finally, maintaining the end result.